DCG served as Project Manager for the implementation of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) System – SAP – for the Houston Airport System. The Houston Airport System operates as one of 17 departments of the City of Houston. The ERP implementation was a City-wide initiative encompassing 11 modules and pursued a “Rapid Deployment” 12-month implementation plan.
Prior to the City procurement/selection of an ERP vendor, DCG performed airport-specific requirements confirmation to support the City RFP process defining needs, reviewing/documenting key “As Is” and “To Be” processes, benchmarking successful public sector implementations, and preparing the cost and funding requirements.
Project Systems (Capital Projects) was especially complex, requiring departments to standardize on a project/WBS structure as part of the conversion. HAS served as a lead department for the implementation of Project Systems, and successfully completed the most complex WBS re-engineering of any City department.
DCG was responsible for the following accomplishments associated with the ERP implementation:
- Provided strategic guidance for ERP implementation in pre-procurement planning phases with HAS management and City sponsors, including development of the cost model for HAS funding requirements.
- Conducted business process review (“As Is”) in HAS operating divisions, documenting 125 key process flows to identify requirements, process improvements, ordinance/City Charter change requirements, and integration needs with HAS-based applications.
- Documented airport-specific requirements for inclusion in City procurement specifications.
- Completed business process improvement (“To Be”) in Planning, Design, Construction and Accounts Payable
- Served as Business Readiness Lead for the department, responsible as the single point of contact with City/SAP ERP Team for project communications, implementation coordination, conversion, and training.
- Established comprehensive department-level implementation plans, by SAP module, based upon approved blueprints provided by the City ERP Team.
- Delivered over 30 ERP Informational Sessions to orient airport staff to SAP processes in key areas including service contracts, receiving of goods and services, and requisitioning.
- Provided oversight and management of all data cleansing activities.
- Designed and developed the asset-based work breakdown structure (WBS) for capital projects, including the migration from legacy project number convention.
- Served as team leader to prepare and reconcile key conversion data for fixed assets, capital projects, and warehouse inventory conversions.
- Provided oversight for change management team activities
- Designed and prepared job aides and desktop guides to facilitate the Go-Live process changes.
- Prepared scripted scenarios and facilitated comprehensive dress-rehearsals with cross functional groups to prepare/test processes and system for GO-Live operations.
- Provided hands-on go-live support by establishing and staffing “incubators” whereby staff in need of help could go for assistance in completing transactions.
- Designed and implemented an ERP Functional Support Center / Help Desk for Go-Live support.
- Completed post-implementation review after 60 days operations to assess training, procedural, and other support needs.).